Protect yourself from electricity-related injures by checking for these potential problems:
- Check outlets and extension cords to make sure they aren’t overloaded. Examine outlets that have loose-fitting plugs, which can overheat and lead to fire. 更换任何丢失或破损的墙板.
- Examine electrical cords to make sure they aren’t frayed, damaged or placed under rugs or carpets. 绳子 should never be nailed or stapled to the wall, baseboard or to another object.
- 考虑安装接地故障断路器(gfci). This is an electronic device used for protecting people from serious injury due to electric shock.
- 在购买延长线之前, make sure the rating on the cord is the same as or higher than the number of watts needed by the product that will be plugged into the cord. Extension cords should never be used as a substitute for permanent wiring.
- Circuit breakers and fuses should be the correct size current rating for their circuit. If you do not know the correct size, have an electrician identify and label the size to be used. 总是用相同尺寸的保险丝更换保险丝.
- 如果一个电器反复烧断保险丝, 触发了断路器或者电击了你, 拔掉插头，修理或更换.
- Make sure entertainment and computer equipment is in good condition and working properly. 检查电线、插头和连接器是否有裂缝或损坏. 火博体育网址 a surge protector or UPS bearing the seal of a nationally recognized certification agency.
- 在雷暴期间，不要火博体育网址电器(如.e., hair dryers, toasters and radios), electrical equipment or telephones (except in an emergency). Keep batteries on hand for flashlights and radios in case of a power outage.
- Make sure the proper wattage light bulbs are being used in light fixtures.
Before you hang your lights and decorations, review these tips for a safe holiday season:
- 丢弃损坏的电器装饰和延长线. Cracked sockets, bare or frayed wires, and loose connections may cause a serious shock or fire. 避免出口过载. 选择通过UL安全认证的灯.
- 不要将超过三股的白炽灯连接在一起. 不要夹住窗户或门上的绳子，也不要夹在沉重的家具下.
- 室外装修时, make sure outdoor outlets are equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI’s). 检查所有的物品和延长线是否有户外火博体育网址的标志.
- Decorate your tree, live or artificial, with non-combustible or flame-resistant materials.
- 如果购买一棵活的圣诞树, 将树放置在离所有热源至少三英尺远的地方, 包括壁炉和空间加热器. 对于人造树，寻找“防火”的标签.”
As temperatures drop this winter, many will look for supplemental heating sources for their homes. Space heaters can be a good alternative for those who want to warm one area of their home without turning up the thermostat on the central heating system. 然而, 32%的房屋火灾也是由取暖器引起的, 根据国家消防协会的说法.
如果你打算今年冬天在家里火博体育网址暖气, 让你, 你的家人和你的财产安全以下提示:
- 材料 – Parts like metal grating can be hot to the touch and may burn anyone who gets too close. Make sure you purchase a heater that is cool to the touch and has guards over the coils just in case little fingers get too close.
- 放置 - While it can be tempting to place a small heater on a shelf so it is not in the way of pets and children, it is safest to leave the heater on a level floor on a nonflammable surface. Keeping the space heater on the floor can keep it from falling over, preventing fire hazards. 也, 记住，取暖器和浴室不是一个好的组合, 除非加热器是为浴室设计的. 湿气会损坏加热器.
The most important rule about space heater placement is the three-foot rule. 是否在卧室里火博体育网址取暖器, 客厅或厨房, space heaters should always be kept three feet away from flammable materials and out of the way of children and pets.
- 特殊功能 – Does your space heater have an auto shutoff function if tipped over? 自动关闭可以是一个救星. 如果您目前拥有一个空间加热器没有自动关闭, 考虑购买具有此重要安全功能的加热器.
- 绳子 – You should never use an extension cord when plugging in a space heater as it can cause overheating. 空间加热器应该直接插在墙上的插座上, 而且应该是唯一插在墙上插座上的东西. 也 make sure cords aren’t in a high-traffic area so they are not a tripping hazard.
- 火博体育网址 -切勿在火博体育网址加热器时无人看管. If you are leaving your home or going to bed, make sure to unplug the heater.
随着天气开始变暖, kids and adults alike will soon head outside to perform winter clean-up and play. 在他们之前, remind them to look up and be alert for power lines and other electrical hazards, 这是避免触电的最好方法.
- 不要在雨天或任何地方放风筝，除非是在开阔的地方. 天空中的高点使风筝成为闪电的接地点, 而且风筝很容易被电线缠住.
- Don’t climb trees that are near power lines and poles—evergreens can disguise dangers this time of year; leaves during the spring and summer.
- 远离地上的电线. 你不知道电是否还在流过它们. 如果附近有水，不要进去. 水是电的最佳导体.
- Obey signs that say “danger” and “keep out” around large electrical equipment, like substations. These signs aren’t warnings; they’re commands to 让你 safe.
- If power lines run through your trees, call 火博体育网址 so we can have them trimmed safely.
- 开始冬天打扫院子的工作? 清除室外插花上的干叶子和碎片.
- 如果他们还没有, consider upgrading your outdoor receptacles—or any outlets that could come in contact with water—to ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). GFCIs immediately interrupt power flow when a plugged-in device comes in contact with water. 无论如何，保持插座和电线干燥并盖在外面.
- 火博体育网址 only weather-resistant, heavy-duty extension cords marked for outdoor use.
Portable generators are useful when temporary electric power is needed. If you have a portable generator or are considering buying one, remember these safety tips:
- Never plug a portable generator directly into one of your home’s outlets—unless you have had a licensed electrician install a “transfer switch” in your home. 如果你没有转换开关, 发电机提供的电力可以沿着电力线“反馈”, 在这些线路上工作的线路工人会触电身亡吗.
- 便携式发电机产生一氧化碳, 无味的, colorless gas that can quickly become deadly if the generator isn’t exhausted outside. Attached garages with an open door don’t count—the carbon monoxide can still seep in门 and poison inhabitants.
- 发电机必须放在室外干燥的地方, which might mean you’ll need to rig a canopy to protect it from precipitation at a safe distance from your home’s windows, 门, 和通风口.
- Plug appliances directly into the generator using heavy-duty, outdoor-rated extension cords. 按照制造商的说明进行最大负载.